Tarte Bright By Night Skincare Discovery Set | Review

6:50 PM



What it is: A skincare duo of face oil and eye cream
Where it is: Sephora
For how much: $10
BTW: Tarte is cruelty free!

Tarte is a high-end brand that I've always wanted to try, but never wanted to splurge for. They're famous for their Amazonian Clay and Maracuja lines, but their products are pretty pricey. I spotted this in the impulse buy/checkout lines of Sephora for an affordable $10. I figured I might as well try, because I needed another moisturizer and my eye cream just ran out, so why not?

I haven't been using this very long. Normally, I wouldn't even review this (everyone's skin is different!), but I've heard whispers that this is limited edition and I can't even find it online, although I saw it in stores very recently, a little more than a week ago. If you're interested in this, run out to a store and get it before you can't get your hands on it. At an affordable $10, what's the harm? If one of the products doesn't work out you can always repurpose it.


This "undiluted organic and moisturizing maracuja oil quickly absorbs for firmer, brighter, smoother skin. Pure maracuja oil is rich in vitamin C, so skin appears instantly brighter and more radiant. The oil is also a source of essential fatty acids (EFAs), a requirement for healthy skin cells that the body cannot produce on its own. EFA deficiency can result in the breakdown of essential skin cells which causes skin to appear dry and aged. By supplementing skin with pure maracuja oil, you are infusing life back into dull skin and replenishing EFAs to rapidly rebuild and repair. This potent antiaging elixir that has anti-inflammatory benefits promotes active skin recovery and delivers maximum hydration without any greasy or filmy feel." Pretty hefty wording, Tarte! Essentially it claims to brighten and hydrate with anti-aging benefits. This little bottle contains 7 mL (.23 fluid oz) and is formulated without parabans, sulfates, fragrances, petrochemicals, phthalates, GMOs, and triclosan. Doesn't that sound incredible?

Despite this being just a basic oil, Tarte sells it for a pretty high price. There are three available sizes of it, and they're all pricey. One of them is a rollerball, but the other two are basically bigger sized of this little one. They come in a dark purple glass jar with a cute wooden dropper. This oil doesn't really smell like anything, but it smells like... oil, you know? It's not a thick oil, but thin and lightweight and sinks in very quickly. It's recommended for nighttime use, but because this oil sinks in very fast, you could also use it in the morning. When I wake up, my skin doesn't look any better (granted, I have a very normal complexion that nothing really does anything to) but it feels incredible, soft and smooth and just plain happy. Maracuja oil can be used all over the body actually - I hear it's very beneficial for hair care, but since my jar is so tiny I haven't tried it yet.

This oil is pretty incredible! Like I said, it sinks in quickly, leaving skin feeling hydrated. It's a little difficult to spread over the skin like a normal oil, so I recommend rubbing it between your fingers and patting into the skin. I love mixing this in with an overnight mask like the Origins Drink Up Intensive, or using it alone. Either way, this little guy really packs a punch! 


This "intense, maracuja fruit- and vitamin C-infused, multitasking eye-treatment visibly hydrates, firms, and brightens the delicate eye-area." Tarte says that this cream will "Refresh, renew, and recharge tired eyes. This skintuitive™ eye treatment contains rice bran, mango, and coconut, which are naturally rich in antioxidants and help fight signs of aging and free radical damage. Meanwhile, oat sugars instantly smooth and visibly tighten skin. The opthalmologist-tested nutrient-rich formula also delivers the ultimate in hydration for smooth, youthful-looking eyes." It's formulated without parabens, sulfates, or phthalates. Basically this eye cream claims to intensively hydrate the eye area while brightening it. The full size contains .35 oz and retails for $38, while this sample contains a teeny .088 oz, making it worth around $8 - hey, I paid $5. 

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little ticked off by this product. It comes in a set called Bright by Night, so you assume it's applied at night, yes? But this cream actually contains mica (aka shimmer) to brighten the eyes. While mica itself won't technically harm you, it won't benefit you in any way and I don't really know many people willing to go to bed with shimmery particles around their eyes. That being said, the mica makes it a wonderful pick-me-up in the morning. It's just a little misleading and annoying to nitpicky people like myself.

The packaging is a jar packaging. Eugh. I know some people aren't bothered by jars since they use clean hands to apply the product - always a good rule of thumb - but still, dust and other bathroom ickies can settle in when it's open for the 15 seconds while you apply the cream. I mean, it's bearable, but still impractical and unhygienic. On the plus side, the cap for this is actually a little rubberized, making it easy to grip, even with lotioned-up hands. I'm not sure if that applies to the normal packaging, but either way both come in sturdy glass purple jars.

This eye cream is a really lovely cream - it's creamy and sinks in quickly but delivers good hydration. I think it'd be wonderful for people with not exactly dark circles, but a little bit of discoloration under the eyes. It's very brightening, but in a subtle way (because of the mica!) and is a treat to apply in the morning. It's easy to spread around the eyes, but isn't so thin that it'll run all over the place and into your eyes. I haven't been using it long enough to see any effects on my dark circles, but I suspect in the long run and with a full size, you'll see significant improvements.



A quick mention about the oil, maracuja oil is also known as passion fruit oil. You can get cheaper alternatives here and here. Anyways, I really recommend you check this out. If you're needing a new set of creams, it's worth popping into Sephora for and picking it up. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

About Me

My photo
Hi there, I'm Emily. It's nice to meet you. I'm a beauty blogger who also happens to be very interested in photography/film. Chat with me, let's be friends!