Are you a night owl? Why you might not be able to sleep and tips and tricks to help you sleep at night!

5:11 PM

Hey, guys! How are you? I got back from vacation on Friday. We were originally not supposed to get back until this Wednesday, but car issues started and we rushed home. It was a good trip however.

Some of you might have trouble falling asleep at night. I fall into that category for sure. Insomnia can be a bitch sometimes, whether you have it on a usual basis or every now and then. I wanted to write a quick post about what you can do to help yourself fall asleep at night, and why you can't sleep.

1. Melatonin. These are melatonin pills, or sleeping supplements. Melatonin is basically the compound that makes you sleepy. Melatonin is sold in a couple forms, liquid, pill, and even gummies. This is an easy way to fall asleep, but I find that if you take them on a regular basis you can become a little immune to the supplements. However, it is a fast and simple shortcut.

2. Reading. This might seem like a no-brainer to you, and that's because it is. Reading relaxes me, no matter about the genre. I like to take about half an hour every night to read a novel.

3. Music. I find that this and reading go hand in hand. Sometimes I can have trouble relaxing when I'm listening to music, because I get swept up in the song. This is when lyricless music comes in handy. There are also apps with relaxing sounds like the ocean and rain if you prefer these. White noise is also a good sound to listen to if you want to fall asleep.

4. Take a relaxing shower/bath. I'm sure you'll feel better and more inclined to sleep if you're clean and sweet smelling before you go to bed. I know I am. However, if you're planning on showering right before you sleep, you might not want to wash your hair, as sometimes the blowdryer can be a hassle and annoying.

5. Tea. People might be telling you to drink tea before you sleep, and for good reason. I personally don't like to do this because I worry about the tea cooling before I drink it, or the tea bag just sitting in my mug throughout the entire night (I know, I know. Weird.), but if you want to drink tea, I recommend lavender or chamomile tea. Both are very relaxing herbs that can help you doze off.

Now, for the reasons that you can't fall asleep. There are honestly a million of these. It could be anything from stress to the fact that you have to pee. But speaking of stress...

1. Stress. This is probably the main reason why people have trouble falling asleep at night. The thought of something nagging you can keep you awake and tossing and turning for hours on end. Honestly, there's not much you can do about it. If you can get rid of what's stressing you out, do it.

2. Technology. Don't stare at your laptop or phone screen for about an hour before you go to bed. It can wake you up and stimulate your brain, which is great in the morning, but at night it's not exactly what you want.

3. This and technology go together... Using technology in bed. Your mind can actually become accustomed to the idea that bed isn't a place for rest if you tend to busy your mind in bed. I don't think doing homework or working in bed is a great idea, as it might be a leading factor to having trouble sleeping.

4. Working out. I know a lot of people work out at night, especially if they can't during the day. However, working out gets your endorphines up and running and it gives you energy. Try not to work out within three hours of going to bed.

Okay, thanks for reading! I hope that this post helped you in some way.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

About Me

My photo
Hi there, I'm Emily. It's nice to meet you. I'm a beauty blogger who also happens to be very interested in photography/film. Chat with me, let's be friends!